Attention! As of June 1, 2014, this board is no longer moderated. Forums/posts will remain archived for informational purposes only.

CONVERSION from Ativan to Valium

Taper and Titration message board and open discussion

CONVERSION from Ativan to Valium

Postby FrankieLewis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 pm

This my first post so please excuse me if this question appears already but it's of great concern to me. I had taken 2 Rx's 30 and then 40 1.0 mg Ativan. The dosage on a trip overseas averaged 1.5 to 2 mg /night for sleep and 3 mgs were taken for the 7.5 hour flight. When I returned home on Sept 13 I discontinued COLD TURKEY and for the first six days withdrawal symptoms were relative minor...some rebound insomnia, some slight anxiety,and minor tinnitus.

Yesterday major WITHDRAWAL set in{ approximately 6 days} after stopping COLD TURKEY and included..loud tinnitus, real anxiety accompanied by trembling. I realized that I would have to reinstate and I did. At 6:30 AM on the 21st I took 3 mg of Ativan and the acute symptom abated. I would think for the most part of the 7-8 weeks of Ativan use I took 1.5 to 2 mg for sleep and 3 mgs twice for severe stressful situations. Those situation were the flight over to EUROPE and the reinstatement of the Ativan yesterday AM.

Before I was approved , and thank you for helping me in advance, I took 5 mg of Valium at 5:00 AM today waiting to here your suggestions on how to CONVERT from say 2mg of Ativan to Valium.
Thanks As I await the Conversion recommendation.
FrankieLewis

Re: CONVERSION from Ativan to Valium

Postby eliza » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Frankie,

Are you going to crossings over by comparison and slowly tapering?? Since you haven't been on the benzo long it would seem an easier taper for you. Do note that Valium tends to stay in the body and exert it's effects for a longer period than ativan. I'm sorry this has happened to you but at least you're aware of the situation.

Ativan 1.0 mg equals 5 mg Valium
Tapered from 60 mg Dalmane (prescribed for insomnia). Benzo Free for two years. My comments/opinions are not meant as medical advise. Always consult your physician.
eliza

Postby FrankieLewis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for your response. It's complicated in my opinion. I was addicted to Ativan about 10 years after 5 years of prescribed use. However I started at 0.5 mg and worked up to 2.mg over that time. I found that I required 2mg this time to sleep so like the alcoholic I picked up right where I left off at 1.5-2 mg.. The sixth day off was a perfect day ....perfect BP, and no body signs.....but Sat night I had rebound insomnia and then awoke with screaming tinnitus. I began trembling which was anxiety to be sure realizing I would have to re institute. I thought I was was home free but I guess I was wrong. I looked at Reg Peart's conversion chart which was difficult to grasp and then Ashton and Roche.
I took 5 mg of Valium early this morning while waiting to hear from a moderator. I will not taper directly from Ativan so I need help with a conversion to Valium. Once that 's completed I will taper from the Valium. Thanks Eliza so much for your help. Yes . I re read your answer and will cross over to the longer half life Valium. The question is in using 3 divided doses what's your opinion of the starting total total and how should that be set up to use both the lorazapam and diazapam i.e 15 or 20 mg of Valium . I plan to used 3 divided dosing incorporating the Valium and reducing the Ativan. What do you suggest on that schedule.
FrankieLewis

Postby eliza » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:03 am

Nora or I will try to get back to you tomorrow. It's late and I want to offer help when I'm not this tired. If you could continue taking what you have Valium wise and check out the various tapering info in our library section.
Tapered from 60 mg Dalmane (prescribed for insomnia). Benzo Free for two years. My comments/opinions are not meant as medical advise. Always consult your physician.
eliza

Postby FrankieLewis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank Eliza, Hopefully you or Nora will get back to me. I am not sure if I can do a conversion at 15 mg eqivilent of Valium or whether I will have to go higher like to 20mg . I will judge by symptoms and sleep. All I am trying to do is substitute the Ativan for Valium by decreasing Ativan and increasing Valium over a 10 day period. I have divided the day into 3rds. Just how to do the actual doses {Amounts} is the issue as well. Really hope to hear from you. Thanks so much.
FrankieLewis

Postby emerge » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:51 pm

frankie, this is my first post as well. as you know by now (probably) the "bible" of benzo tapering is the ashton manual, by dr. heather ashton.

in the ling below, you can just scroll down and find the schedule for titration from ativan (lorazepam) to valium (diazepam) and out to freedom.

to give an idea, at 3mg ativan, the bio-equivalency to valium would be roughly 30mg, according to the ashton model. just read the link and go from there...

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

good luck brother.
emerge

Postby Nora » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Frankie, you can follow the conversion chart for equivalencies, but generally speaking it's a good idea to find the dose of Valium that will stabilize you first and then start tapering. By stable I don't mean symptom-free, but a level at which your symtpom are manageable and allow you to have a life.

The Ashton Manul does give examples of taper plans using a switch-over to Valium, so that would be a great place to start.
1 mg Lorazepam at night, for 14 years.
Dec 2012 - Began taper
April 9/2013 - Done! Insomnia under control using supplements and exercise.

My comments here are my personal opinions based on experience and are not offered, and should not be construed, as medical advice. Always consult with your doctor before considering a change in medications or supplements.
Nora

Postby FrankieLewis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks NORA, I thought I could get away with 15 mg eqivilentsbut today it's up to 25 to keepsymtoms manageable. I would like to keep you Eliza updated. Do I just add to this thread or go elsewhere.
MONDAY AM AFTERNOON BEDTIME
5 MG Valium O.5 Ativan 0.5 Ativan and 5 mg VAlium

Tues AM Afternoon Bedtime
5 MG Valium 1.0 Ativan 0.5 Ativan and 5 mg Valium

ITS dfferent than AShton because I started on my own.....do you suggest usinf ASHTON which would be lorazapam. lorazapam , valium 5mg
lorazapam 0.5
lorazapam 0.5 lorazapam 1 mg lorazapam 0.5
valium 5 mg etc
Her conversion very slow....Reg Peart is faster...7-10 days total
FrankieLewis

Postby emerge » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm

lorazapam IS ativan.

read the ashton manual in full..

you can find it easy with a simple search: "ashton manual benzo"

it is short and easy to read...

it is based on long research.

quick tapers are dangerous and, if failed, only lead to more difficult withdrawal symptoms later.

i tried a 5 week taper, at a world class detox center, with top physicians, therapists, etc., to come off of 20mg/day valium and could not manage... but everyone is different...i cannot speak for your experience, only give you information i wish i had at the time.

your body will tell you if you are doing it right, so trust your body and an MD who has experience with Benzo withdrawal, and you will be fine.

stay positive.
emerge

Postby FrankieLewis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks EMERGE...Believe me I memorized the Ashton Manuel, and have watched her Utube videos. Having said that I AGREE there no short cut as I am in the thick of things. I guess my Limbic center, Hippocamus , and Amygdala have had a conference and the say NO SHORT CUT here...lol. This is no joke....I will do the convesion and it looks like 25 mg of Valium will be my starting point. BTW where are you in this journey EMERGE and thanks for sharing your experience.
FrankieLewis

Next

Return to Withdrawal - Taper and Titration